Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Answering the Call

Laurellee put out a call for more blogging. I have no idea why; it seems between her and Liz there are plenty of pithy anecdotes to go around the family. It's possible I'm just blind, but nothing of particular interest happens to me most days. In any case, in an attempt to answer the call, I'll now blog for 7 straight days. At that point I figure there will be a new call to cut it out.

On my mind today is the wildfire situation in San Diego. We just drove back from a vacation / work trip there and now it seems the very roads we drove on are burning. My client in San Diego shut down all their operations today because so many employees are in evacuation situations. I can't imagine the mental suffering you'd endure in that situation. I talked with a friend there and the fire stopped a quarter of a mile from his house. He can't actually go asses the damage, but he's pretty sure it's totally smoked out. I'm definitely praying for him and everyone else out there. Such a beautiful place to have a problem like that.

On happier notes, things seem to be going swimingly with my little work experiment. We've got two people hired (Aaron and Jeremiah) and the leads just keep coming in. Huston is up in Canada kicking off another project today. The pipe of incoming work has been consistently strong thanks to our full time sales manager, so I don't see any sign of things slowing down. I'm a little nervous about the general trend of the economy right now, so I'm not looking to hire another until we see how things settle over the next few months. It's amazing how nothing really changes but the analysts statements and all of the sudden companies don't want to spend money any more. I guess we all get spooked an hold onto our wallets.

We've got an office now in American Fork. It's about 10 mins from my house and 13 from Huston's. It's great to have a place. It got a little old trying to work with Jeremiah at the kitchen table while SpongeBob was on the television. Nothing more distracting than Sponge Bob. I want to hate the ugly little yellow bugger, but he's just funny and I end up laughing anyway.

Check out the Hello Kitty AK-47 over in my shared links. It's too cool for words.

4 comments:

somebody's mother said...

Glad you got out of S. Cal when you did.

We are watching the fires, too. We're supposed to go out to SD next month. Hope things are better by then. I'm not too excited about going if there is still a lot of smoke in the air.

More Bacon said...

It is strange how suddenly the whole area went up in flames. It's just another one of those things--you never can tell what is going to happen. There is so much we don't have control over. I hope that everyone stays safe and that the fires die down quickly!!

Glad you're answering the blogging call. Really, nothing interesting ever happens to me either (as evidenced by my blog) but that way, everyone knows that nothing exciting happens to me. :)

Kenneth said...

That does stink about CA.

I'm glad things seem to be picking up at work though.

Hello Kitty AK-47... That's just not right. Sending that one to the wife.

LL said...

Thanks for writing!!! NOTHING of note happens in my life, but I still inflict you all with my pointless chatter. It is always nice to hear from you.

We have friends in the SD area and they had to spend a couple of nights in the hospital with their little girl for smoke related problems. Their area is still safe, but I guess the smoke situation is pretty awful.